The Online Teacher of Students with Disabilities Graduate Endorsement (TOSD GE Endorsement) program is offered in partnership with Rowan’s NCATE accredited College of Education. It fosters an understanding of students with special needs and provides the pedagogical skills to accommodate them. This program is ideal for those who already possess NJ state standard teaching certification and wish to earn the Endorsement in Teacher of Students with Disabilities.
The TOSD Endorsement can be taken alone (here on this page) or as part of the MA in Special Education or later added to the MA in Special Education.
TOSD Endorsement Program Highlights
- 7 courses or 21 graduate semester hours
- Offered by Rowan’s NCATE accredited College of Education
- Offered both fully online or on-campus: Online courses are 8-week accelerated courses offered 1–2 per semester. On-campus courses are traditional 15–16 week courses meeting weekly in the evening.
- Part-time course load
- Possible completion in as little as 4 semesters
Applying to the TOSD Endorsement Program
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- CGCE Graduate Application Form
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- While the Recommendation Form is required, a letter from the recommender is preferred.
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives: Why do you want to teach children with special needs? Why is earning the TOSD Endorsement important to you?
- Recommended undergraduate cumulative GPA of a least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- COE TOSD Endorsement Field Experience Placement Form
- A copy of initial NJ teaching certificate (Standard or CEAS only) in Elementary Education or appropriate content area. If your certificate was issued prior to 1994, you must also submit scores from the Praxis II content specialization test.
- Optional Interview (If an interview is required, applicants will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admissions Committee. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
- Writing sample (completed during interview)
Teachers in the state of New Jersey may apply to the Teacher of Students with Disabilities Graduate Endorsement program through the New Jersey Teacher Outreach Program (NJTOP®). For more information including NJTOP tuition rates click here.
The New Jersey Department of Education (NJ DOE), not Rowan University, grants certifications based on requirements set by the state. While coursework for this program meets the academic requirements for NJ DOE certification, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all other certification requirements are met, including, but not limited to, appropriate type and level of license and years of experience. NJ DOE certification requirements are subject to change. Certification applications are evaluated, by NJ DOE, based on the most current state requirements. For current NJ DOE licensure information, click here.
TOSD Endorsement Curriculum
The Teacher of Students with Disabilities Graduate Endorsement is a part-time program offered in an accelerated online format. This endorsement requires the completion of 21 graduate semester hours (7 courses) in 3.5 to 4 consecutive semesters. Some courses require classroom field activities and special placements which will be arranged for by the College of Education Office of Field Experiences.
The following courses make up the Online TOSD Endorsement program. Each course is scheduled in 8 week modules with each week of work starting every Tuesday at 8:00 a.m. and ending every Monday at midnight (Eastern Standard time).
Required Courses: 21 semester hours (s.h.)
|SPED 08515||Curriculum, Instruction, And Transition In Special Education||3|
|SELN 10585||Educational Assessment In Special Education||3|
|SPED 08555||Education & Psychology of Exceptional Learners||3|
|SELN 10581||Implementing Positive Behavior Strategies||3|
|READ 30530||Teaching Reading To Exceptional Children||3|
|SPED 08520||Clinical Experiences In Special Education||4|
|SELN 10592||Clinical Seminar In Special Education||2|
Go here to Apply Now
For Start dates and Deadline dates contact:
Dr. Barry Meinster
Coordinator of New Jersey Teacher Outreach Programs (NJTOP™)
Rowan University Global Division
M – F 8 a.m. – 9 p.m