The Online Principal Certification program is intended for public school teachers or administrators who already have their Master’s degree and wish to earn additional administrative credentials in their field. Included in this program are field placements/ internships (as part of the final two courses) as well as two required Benchmarks. For details of what is required for each benchmark, please consult the Academic Advisor listed in this document.
This program has two tracks. Applicants must select a track at the time of application that best matches their needs/experience.
Online Principal Certification Program Highlights
- 7–8 courses or 21–24 graduate semester hours. Track II applicants require 1 additional course
- Fully online, part-time accelerated program: Courses are 8 weeks long and offered 1–2 per term. Courses include field components completed in a school district. Convenience of focusing on 1 course at a time.
- Possible degree completion in as little as 7 consecutive semesters.
- Discounted tuition rates as part of New Jersey Teacher Outreach Program (NJTOP)
- Upon program completion and successful completion of the School Leader Licensure Assessment Test, students may apply and be recommended by Rowan University to the State of NJ for the Principal Certification
Applying to the Principal Certification Program
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- CGCE Graduate Application
- $65 (U.S.) application fee is waived for NJTOP
- Master’s degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives (must include reasons for pursuing the Principal Certification)
- Typewritten statement of leadership experience (must include examples of previous leadership experience and abilities within specific positions/projects)
- Two letters of recommendation: While the official Recommendation Form is required, an actual letter from the recommender is preferred. Letters or recommendation should be from the candidate’s superintendent, supervisor, or from a professional colleague attesting to the candidate’s potential as a principal.
- Copy of current NJ state supervisor certificate
- Copy of NJ Standard teaching or educational services certificate
- CGCE CAGS in Principal Preparation Track Declaration Form
- Optional interview (If selected for an interview, the applicant will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admissions Committee. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
- Track I: A letter from the applicant’s district superintendent attesting that the candidate has at least 5 years of full-time experience in a position that requires the supervisor certificate.
- Track II: A letter from the applicant’s district superintendent attesting that the candidate has successfully completed both: At least 5 years of full-time teacher; and, 0–5 years of full-time experience in a position that requires the supervisor certificate.
The Online Principal Certification program meets the requirements specified by the state of New Jersey, including a 300-hour internship, and is designed to serve the person who has already earned a Master’s degree in some field and a Supervisor Certificate, and who wishes to qualify as a principal in the public schools. There are two tracks available:
Track I is intended for those with at least 5 years of full-time experience in a position that requires supervisor certification. Track I students are required to complete 7 courses.
Track II is intended for those with at least 5 years full-time teaching experience and 0–5 years experience in a position that requires supervisor certification. Track II students are required to complete 8 courses.
Teachers in the state of New Jersey may apply to the Principal Preparation CAGS program through the New Jersey Teacher Outreach Program (NJTOP®). For more information including NJTOP tuition rates click here.
The New Jersey Department of Education (NJ DOE), not Rowan University, grants certifications based on requirements set by the state. While coursework for this program meets the academic requirements for NJ DOE certification, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all other certification requirements are met, including, but not limited to, appropriate type and level of license and years of experience. NJ DOE certification requirements are subject to change. Certification applications are evaluated, by NJ DOE, based on the most current state requirements. For current NJ DOE licensure information, click here.
Per the New Jersey Department of Education (NJ DOE), “Educational services certificates are issued to support service personnel [in school districts], i.e. school social worker, school psychologist, learning disabilities teacher-consultant, student assistance coordinator, etc.).” For NJ DOE Educational Services Certificate information and definitions, go to the New Jersey Department of Education licensure website for Educational Services Personnel.
The following courses make up the Principal Preparation Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study program.
|EDAM 27521||Introduction To The Principalship||3|
|EDAM 27559||Law And Ethics For School Leadership||3|
|EDSU 28523||Building Organizational Capacity Through Leadership And Supervision||3|
|EDAM 27535||School Finance And Records||3|
|EDAM 27510||Change For School Improvement||3|
|EDAM 27600||Practicum/Seminar In Administration/Supervision I||3|
|EDAM 27601||Practicum/Seminar in Administration/Supervision II||3|
|EDSU 28522||Instructional Leadership And Supervision||3|
For Start dates and Deadline dates contact:
Dr. Barry Meinster
Coordinator of New Jersey Teacher Outreach Programs (NJTOP™)
Rowan University Global Division
M – F 8 a.m. – 9 p.m