The Online Masters in Special Education at Rowan University is designed for individuals who possess a standard instructional certificate, or possess/are eligible for a CEAS, and wish to increase their knowledge and skills related to working with individuals with exceptional learning needs.
The coursework and related field experiences are designed to foster an understanding of students’ unique strengths and needs, as well as the pedagogical skills to accommodate these needs and provide appropriate curriculum modifications when necessary. Teacher candidates who successfully complete this program will be recommended for the New Jersey Teacher of Students with Disabilities certification. The Masters in Special Education is online and offered through the New Jersey Teacher Outreach Program, (NJTOP).
The Rowan University Master of Arts in Special Education is intended for new and continuing teachers who want to pursue advanced knowledge of students with disabilities. The purpose of the program is to provide advanced studies focusing on educational, psychological and sociological needs of the children and youth with disabilities. The M.A. in Special Education also aims to produce instructional leaders who are well versed in special education topics including collaborative teaching, administration, and assessment.
Online Masters in Special Education Program Highlights
- 30–36 graduate semester hours
- Multiple tracks available within the Online Masters in Special Education: *Track I: Graduate Endorsement Track. *Track II: Autism Spectrum Disorders Track. *Track III: Learning Disabilities *Track. Track IV: Early Childhood
- Offered both online or on-campus: Online courses are 8-week accelerated courses offered 1-2 per semester. On-campus courses are traditional 15-16 week courses meeting weekly in the evening on Rowan’s Glassboro, NJ campus.
- This program is part-time
- Possible degree completion in as little as 5–7 consecutive semesters
- Many courses include field components which (in most cases) are held at the candidate’s current teaching position
Applying to the Online Masters in Special Education
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- CGCE Graduate Application
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives
- Minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Submission of official GRE test scores (applicants with an undergraduate GPA of 3.6 or better are waived from this requirement)
- Copy of NJ Teaching Certification (Standard or CEAS) in Elementary or Secondary Subject Area
- If your certificate was issued prior to 1994, you must also submit official scores from the Praxis II content specialization test
- CGCE M.A. in Special Education Track Declaration Form
- Interview (Students will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admissions Committee regarding the interview. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
- On-site writing sample (conducted during interview)
Go here to Apply Now
For Start dates and Deadline dates contact:
Dr. Barry Meinster
Coordinator of New Jersey Teacher Outreach Programs (NJTOP™)
Rowan University Global Division
M – F 8 a.m. – 9 p.m