The Online Masters in School Administration program provides the candidate with the opportunity to learn the diagnostic and prescriptive skills necessary to function as a collaborative leader in a P-12 learning organization. The program meets the requirements established by the New Jersey Department of Education for state certification as a public school administrator in positions such as assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction, principal, assistant principal, and director
The MA in School Administration contains all the courses needed for the certificate of eligibility for the NJ Principal Certification. The Rowan University MA in School Administration also contains the 4 courses needed for the Supervisor’s certification and the necessary courses for the Principal Certification.
Online Masters in School Administration Highlights
- 12 courses or 36 graduate semester hours
- Two delivery modes available: Online (100% online 8-week classes plus 4 face-to-face meetings in Glassboro, NJ) or On-campus (all classes held in the evenings in Glassboro, NJ)
- Part-time program with possible degree completion in 7 consecutive semesters
- Discounted tuition rates as part of New Jersey Teacher Outreach Program (NJTOP)
- Many courses include field components which in most cases are held in the candidates current teaching position
Applying to the Online Masters in School Administration Program
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the Global Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- Global Graduate Application Form
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee – waived for NJTOP
- Bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives: Must include reasons for pursuing the School Administration program
- Typewritten statement of leadership experience: Must include examples of previous leadership experience and abilities within specific positions/projects
- Two letters of recommendation: While the official Recommendation Form is required, a letter from the recommender is preferred. Letters of recommendation should be from professional administrators (supervisor, principal, superintendent) and include information which attests to applicant’s ability to pursue a graduate degree.
- Recommended undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Copy of current New Jersey (or other state) Standard Teaching or Educational
- Services Certificate
- Letter confirming at least 3 years of satisfactory teaching or educational service
- Optional interview: If selected for an interview, applicant will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admissions Committee. The interview can be in person or via telephone.
This program provides the candidate with the opportunity to learn the diagnostic and prescriptive skills necessary to function as a collaborative leader in a P-12 learning organization. The program meets the requirements established by the New Jersey Department of Education for state certification as a public school administrator in positions such as assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction, principal, assistant principal, and director. Students outside the state of NJ must consult with their state department of education for certification requirements.
The New Jersey Department of Education (NJ DOE), not Rowan University, grants certifications based on requirements set by the state. While coursework for this program meets the academic requirements for NJ DOE certification, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all other certification requirements are met, including, but not limited to, appropriate type and level of license and years of experience. NJ DOE certification requirements are subject to change. Certification applications are evaluated, by NJ DOE, based on the most current state requirements. For current NJ DOE licensure information, click here.
Per the New Jersey Department of Education (NJ DOE), “Educational services certificates are issued to support service personnel [in school districts], i.e. school social worker, school psychologist, learning disabilities teacher-consultant, student assistance coordinator, etc.).” For NJ DOE Educational Services Certificate information and definitions, go to the New Jersey Department of Education licensure website for Educational Services Personnel.
Online Masters in School Administration Curriculum
The M.A. in School Administration is a part-time accelerated program that requires the completion of 36 graduate semester hours or 12 courses. The coursework is offered entirely online and only four face-to-face meetings are required throughout the possible 7 consecutive semesters it takes to complete the program. There are also 3 benchmark meetings required for completion of the program.
The M.A. in School Administration also includes the required courses for following two NJ Department of Education Certification programs: Supervisor Certification (4 courses) and Principal Certification (7 to 8 courses). Matriculated students in the M.A. in School Administration program are automatically matriculated into the Supervisor Certification program as well. Students who successfully complete the Rowan University M.A. in School Administration program will be recommended by the university to the State of NJ for the Supervisor Certification while those who successfully complete the program and meet the following additional requirements may be recommended to the State of NJ for the Principal Certification:
- Evidence confirming at least 5 years of satisfactory, full-time educational experience (demonstrated by a letter from the applicant’s school superintendent) in any New Jersey Department of Education-certified position.
- Evidence of a score of 163 or better on the School Leader Licensure Assessment Test (www.ets.org/sls)
The following courses make up the M.A. in School Administration Online program. With the exception of two 15-week courses at the end of the program, all courses are 8 weeks long, online, and are offered two per term, one at a time.
|EDSU 28510||Curriculum Design & Development for Instructional Leaders||3|
|EDAM 27521||Introduction To The Principalship||3|
|CURR 29580||Fundamentals of Curriculum Development||3|
|EDAM 27559||Law And Ethics For School Leadership||3|
|EDSU 28522||Instructional Leadership And Supervision||3|
|CURR 29590||Curriculum Evaluation||3|
|EDST 24504||Action Research In Education||3|
|EDSU 28523||Building Organizational Capacity Through Leadership And Supervision||3|
|EDAM 27535||School Finance And Records||3|
|EDAM 27510||Change For School Improvement||3|
|EDAM 27600||Practicum/Seminar In Administration/Supervision I||3|
|EDAM 27601||Practicum/Seminar in Administration/Supervision II||3|