Masters in Reading Practitioner Program Highlights
Our Masters in Reading Practitioner program prepares professionals to teach literacy using a contemporary conceptual framework and effective strategies that are appropriate for guiding literacy development in classroom and clinical environments. This concentration is intended for those who wish to pursue advanced studies in literacy education and instructional strategies that align with English/Language Arts Standards and the needs of diverse 21st century classrooms. The Reading Practitioner concentration does not lead to a state certificate.
- The Masters in Reading Practitioner program at Rowan University is nationally accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) in conjunction with the International Reading Association (ILA).
- Teaching certification not required, but students must have access to a classroom and/or school district as well as a group of children to work with.
Curriculum for Masters in Reading Practitioner
- 10 courses and 30 graduate semester hours
- Fully online, part-time accelerated program: Courses are 8 weeks long and offered 2 per term. Convenience of focusing on 1 course at a time
- Possible degree completion in as little as 5 consecutive semesters
- Discounted tuition rates as part of New Jersey Teacher Outreach Program (NJTOP)
- Teaching certification is not required
- No lab course required – so complely online
Applying to the Reading Practitioner Program
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- CGCE Graduate Application Form
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Two letters of recommendation: The official Recommendation Form is required. In addition, letters from the recommender may be submitted.
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives
- Current professional resume that clearly indicates the number of years you have been teaching
- Minimum cumulative GPA of a least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Copy of NJ teaching certificate (only Standard or CEAS only)
- Interview may be required with Faculty Admissions Committee (If an interview is required, students will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admissions Committee. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
- Timed writing sample (completed during interview)
For more related program go to NJTOP Mission
Go here to Apply Now
For Start dates and Deadline dates contact:
Dr. Barry Meinster
Coordinator of New Jersey Teacher Outreach Programs (NJTOP™)
Rowan University Global Division